Many people unconsciously grind their teeth while they sleep. If you suffer from teeth grinding (bruxism), you may damage your bite or even lose teeth. To help you protect your teeth, our dentist may recommend a night guard. This mouth guard provides an extra layer of defense to protect your smile. If you have any questions about how we can help to prevent teeth grinding in Grants Pass, Oregon, please do not hesitate to visit or call us at Smiles Dental today and schedule your personalized consultation with Dr. John Oliver.
A night guard is a special type of mouth guard that is used to treat bruxism, or teeth grinding and clenching. If our dentist suspects that you suffer from bruxism, we may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent teeth grinding while you sleep. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain, and ear pain
- Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked, or very worn teeth
- Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
If you notice the signs of bruxism, you may benefit from a custom night guard. This night guard will be custom made to fit your smile comfortably and effectively, allowing you to sleep peacefully while protecting your smile. We invite you to contact us today to learn more about night guards and how we can prevent teeth grinding. We are dedicated to providing the best possible care for your smile.